Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

Maiden posting

I’m having an affair. I’m completely infatuated, enamored, bewitched. And I’ve been this way for a very long time.

Hey, whoa! Don’t fret yourself. Ed and I are still as happy as the proverbial clams. In fact, Ed’s in the same besotted state and I’m not upset about it at all. Indeed, sharing our obsession brings us a great deal of pleasure. We’re both simply smitten with words.

There are just so many of them, and they do such a great many wonderful things! Nice, normal, everyday things like flush and wash; solemn, important things like communicate and pontificate; fun and mischievous things like squirt and tickle; or naughty things like bait and switch. Of course, that last was actually a phrase, but words were definitely involved.

The thing to remember about words, though, is that they have to be used. A word left too long unused dries out and turns to a nasty, powdery bit of bleh when a person finally tries to put it back into circulation. Think of “whom.” It is almost impossible to say “to whom” without pursing up the lips and giving the head a little snooty jiggle as though the spirit of a withered old British governess had taken over for that moment. It’s a shame. Grammar doesn’t have to be sanctimonious and prudish just to be proper.

Words are breathtakingly expressive—it is, of course, their main function: to express. Think of bloviate. Even someone who has never heard that word knows instinctively what it means when it’s used to describe a Senator. And words are succinct. Contemplate euphoria. Describe it in less than five words. Difficult, huh? Yet that one word delivers whole paragraphs of experience in four syllables.

I’m opening my blog with this little confession about my ongoing frolic with words to give my readers fair warning. I’m not embarrassed to use flamboyant or old-fashioned or uncommon words. I’m not likely to swear, but I may bring swear words to mind. At any rate, that has been my experience with my children.

I hope to irritate my writing muse enough with my Thursday scribblings to get her to come out and play with the characters in my stories. If I irritate you at the same time and make you think of more words, even if they’re just to throw at me, then I will feel as though my time has not been wasted. Please feel free to use the comments section to deploy them in the direction of my quivering psyche. Joyous day.

Mellie

9 comments:

  1. Hi sweety,
    You don't need a gadget. Just click on the "Comments" link at the bottom of the post.

    Who loves ya baby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I too, am smitten. As of late, however, my desire to sleep for the few precious hours (in some case, minutes) a day that my responsibilities relinquish to me has ravaged my will to peruse my computer and titivate the blank pages of word(OpenOffice, rather) with conjectures, eloquence, and excitement.

    I look forward to your posts, Mellie! I know they will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, fair maiden, you've expressed yourself so eloquently!

    Nice first post.

    As for words? Yeah. Totally in love with them.

    Looking forward to more words from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. Your nickname conjures up echoes of mellifluous, the muse Melpomene and, of course, melodic.

    Stop me before I bloviate! Unfortunately I suffer from an over-fondness for sesquipedalian words!

    Jamie Irons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I im so exited you are duing this!! This wil be grate for yer book - to git the ball roling you know? :)

    Mwa Ha Ha, how do you like THOSE words? I just couldn't resist(tee hee). I love you, and I can't wait to read about what is going on in that mind of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should be fun - don't forget to eschew obfuscation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mellie, I shall stay tuned! Any smile can giggleburst into laughter—so too, the pefectly applied word can be joy complete.
    Cheers,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Start Aunt Mel! Cool concept, to write every Thursday. = )

    Love ya!

    And Yes, I live in C.R. = )

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA, Sarah - like I actually write on Thursday! You may have noticed that none of my first four blogs have posted on Thursday........at least I'm consistent...?

    ReplyDelete