Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Finished Projects





I've been spending inordinate amounts of time on Pinterest looking at myriad beautiful ideas, laughing at countless funny sayings, ooooing and aaaaahhhing at darling children, yummy desserts, gorgeous rooms - and getting entirely enthused about dozens of craft projects!


I wrote earlier about how those projects proliferated all over my house like VERY affectionate rabbits until I finally corralled them all into my own little craft corner. But not all of my projects are unfinished - oh no. I've finished quite a few of them - some of which cannot be shown until after Christmas (no spoilers here)! But there are some that I can share now.

I've seen so many great ideas for using magnets to make life simpler and more beautiful. I like to wear my hair up and clip flowers into it, but the basket I kept my flowers in often left them crushed. Getting my flowers up onto something that held them vertically seemed like the perfect solution.

Our bathroom has beaded paneling with molding detail above it that forms a series of small “frames” - perfect for my need! (If they weren’t there, I’d just have used a normal frame.) I priced sheet metal to fit into the frames – yikes! Too much! I went to the roofing section of Lowe’s and found rolls of galvanized flashing, but it was far more than I wanted. Then I found a roll of galvanized mesh – just right. (I felt kinda like the Three Bears: too much $$, too much length, juuuust right!) While I was there, I picked up a couple of packages of magnets, too.

The mesh cut very easily with tin snips, and also made it easy to keep my lines straight. Two lengths happened to fit perfectly inside the frames on the wall, wasn’t that nice?

We rent this house, so I didn’t want to do anything permanent, so I used four little dots of hot glue to attach each piece of mesh to the wall. Then, using a glue stick, I covered the mesh with a piece of white drawing paper cut to fit the “frame” and smoothed it out. You can’t even tell that there is anything there! When we leave this house, it will be a simple matter to remove (if our landlord wants us to), but it will stay there until then.

I simply placed my magnets and popped a flower (or two) onto each one. Ta da! Lovely, handy, and no longer crushed! I love my pretty flower holders!

(Please ignore the misplacement of my pictures.....I just can't get them to go where I want them!)

2 comments: